From our A.C.E Officer Calum Briars.
Since its introduction to the market in 2016, Alexa has become a household item used by millions worldwide. Of course, this is not a surprise at all, for a hand-sized speaker to have such clarity and functionality for a fraction of the cost of most speakers on the market, it has become an absolute must for many. Whether you live on your own with others, this little device can be a great companion or a source of entertainment for the whole family.
Easily accessible and readily available, prices start from as little as £20.00, a very worthwhile investment, as once connected to the internet, this little device can keep you amused for hours.
The brilliant thing about Alexa is its ability to introduce both the young and elderly to technology. There’s no screen, no swiping, you simply give Alexa a verbal command, it’s as easy as that.
Some of my favourite key features & commands:
- “Alexa Play music by Ed Sheeran”
- “Alexa Play BBC Radio 2”
- “Alexa what’s the exchange rate between the £ and $?”
- “Alexa what’s the time?”
- “Alexa what’s the weather going to be like today in Cardiff?”
- “Alexa play the game Pointless”
- “Alexa give me a random fact”
- “Alexa create a shopping list”
- “Alexa add bread, milk to my shopping list”
- “Alexa set a reminder for a hospital appointment”
- “Alexa Set a 30m Cooking timer”
- “Alexa call John Smith”
- “Alexa turn on the TV”
- “Alexa set the Hive thermostat to 21′
Although some of the features above require Alexa-enabled devices e.g TV, lighting or Hive systems, new features are added weekly and this is done remotely, so you don’t even need to worry about updating your device. This device boasts thousands of features and is guaranteed to keep you entertained and make your life easier with its easily integrated compatibility with everyday household items.