With our usual fundraising events ‘out of the window’, as they say, for this year we wanted to create an event that can still give our supporters a chance to get involved with the charity and help us to support people with sight loss in Wales.
The lockdown has been tough on us all, but our Covid-19 ring- around service has found that some people with sight loss are experiencing extreme levels of anxiety and isolation and are encountering great difficulties without being able to access external support at home. Even the easing of lockdown restrictions present its own challenges, with social distancing measures making everyday tasks daunting and confusing for many with a visual impairment.
Therefore we want to ensure we are doing our best to support people with sight loss during these difficult times, by carrying out services such as:
- Technology support – providing 1-2-1 tuition and guidance to people with sight loss on how to use technical devices to carry out everyday tasks like banking and shopping , as well as communicating with the outside word from the comfort of their own home.
- Business training – we also provide free training for local businesses in ensuring their premises and practises are sight loss friendly.
- Supporting people – providing information, advice and practical support on things like budget management and welfare benefits, as well as home safety and lifestyle planning, to help people with sight loss to remain as independent as possible.
- Clinic support – our ECLOs supports patients from the point of registration and help with clinic appointments. They provide advice on treatments and services and run awareness training sessions with hospital staff.
- Rehabilitation services – carrying out individual need assessments to develop a rehabilitation programme to enhance daily living , communication and mobility of an individual with sight loss.
On Your Bike for Sight: Take part in the challenge 28th- 31st Aug
With biking becoming a popular hobby for many during lockdown, as well as an activity that many ages can enjoy, alone or as part of a group or family unit, we thought we would invite the whole of Wales to join us on a Wales-wide bike ride, from wherever they may be.
With Wales having some amazingly beautiful parks and bike trails, why not head out over the bank holiday weekend. Not only will you get to enjoy our wonderful country, get some exercise and fresh air, as well as have lots of fun of course, but by donating £1 for every mile you ride, you will also be helping to support people with sight loss in Wales.
You can make this donation yourself, or if you are looking for a real challenge, why not gain sponsorship for a longer ride.
What to do next?
- If you would like any help or for more information you can get in touch with the team at Sight Cymru via our social media pages, the website https://sightcymru.org.uk/contact-us/ or by calling 01495 763650
- Ensure you practise safe cycling (i.e. wear a helmet, check the bike over before riding it, check the weather forecast to ensure it is suitable, plan your route, take a mobile phone, stay hydrated, wear visible clothing)
- Practise social distancing and Covid safety measures
- Let us know your plans and send us videos or pictures of your challenge if you wish
- You can set up a fundraising page via https://uk.gofundme.com/
- You can donate here https://bit.ly/DonateSight
- Have fun!