Supporting People Services
“Supporting Local People with Sight Loss to live Independently in their own homes”.
N.B. This particular service is only available to people living within the borough of Caerphilly.
The Sight Cymru, Supporting People Team aims to help people with sight loss to overcome difficulties they have so that they can live independent lives. This is a home-based service and provides information, advice and practical support. The type of support may include:
- Managing budgets and accessing welfare benefits
- Helping someone to stay safely in their own home by using safety appliances, identifying risks and requesting repairs
- Ensuring people are safe from intruders and fire
- Helping people to comply with tenancy agreements
- Assistance with making and attending appointments
- Providing access to other services including further education, training, employment, health and social services
- Helping to ensure a healthy lifestyle by planning weekly meals and introducing to shopping schemes
- Helping people to maintain good relationships with neighbours, develop life skills and links with the local community
- Helping people to develop and maintain social relationships
- Helping people to use other agencies, such as Care and Repair or Dial a Ride
- Making sure people know what equipment can help their sight, accessing the Low Vision services and helping them use the equipment provided
- Assistance with completing forms and applying for concessions such as TV licenses and Disability Badges.
How can someone be helped by the Supporting People Project?
Individuals can be referred to Sight Cymru via Supporting People, by a family member, a carer, a health visitor, social worker, an ophthalmic surgeon or low vision specialist. Once we receive the referral we will then arrange a visit from one of our team who will do an assessment of what help is needed. If we are able to help we will agree a support plan that will make clear the assistance that we can give.
A support worker will call for around an hour or two a week for several weeks (maximum of two years) to provide that support.
If you think you fit the criteria please contact Caerphilly Supporting People – 01443 864548